It’s not everyday that you have to turn to the internet to find out how you throw grenades in an FPS, however Fallout 4 does not entirely fall into this category.
While throwing a grenade is not exactly rocket science, there are some tricks that may help you take your gaming to the next level. It is not part of any in-game tutorials, and the mechanics are a bit different than the other installments of the saga. So we are here to walk you through every step of the process and you’ll be throwing grenades all day long
Step by Step Instructions to Throwing Grenades in Fallout 4
- Open up your Pop-Boy menu and head into the weapons inventory. Of course, you should have some grenades or molotovs.
- Equip them as you would with any weapon, don’t worry, they won’t interfere with any of the weapons you already have equipped.
- Now the game shows you tips as to how to use grenades, so you can check those too.
- Next, close the Pip-Boy menu. There is no indication that you have the grenades equipped, but do not worry, they are equipped.
- Once you are ready to throw them (when you have aimed as if you are going to shoot), hold down your melee button for a moment and you should hear a clicking noise.
- Once you hear the noise, let go of the button to throw the explosive and that’s it!
By the way, in case you’re wondering, the default melee buttons are as follows:
- Xbox: RB
- PS4: R1
- PC: Alt
Now, it is important to keep in mind that if you’ve run out of grenades and try to hold pressed the melee button you will just do a melee attack, even if your enemy is a gazillion miles away.
Grenade Tips and Reminders to keep in mind:
- You cannot time the explosion of the grenade right. No matter how long you hold them after the click sound. The “timer” will only start once you throw out your explosive
- It can be tough to figure out where will your grenade land, luckily enough there is a perk you can unlock to give you an arc. This will help you figure out the trajectory of your grenade
- The process is the same for using mines
- It is recommended that you equip the grenades by favoriting them, this can save you a lot of time and make the whole process more bearable
It is impossible, however, to use VATS and grenades in this game. Whereas in the previous games you could just equip and throw any explosive using the VATs system, in this game it is not possible for some reason.
And that’s it, that is exactly how throw a grenade in Fallout 4. All that’s left is for you to practice and blow up a bunch of enemies until you can get the trick on how to aim and use your explosives. Once you get completely used to the whole process, these can be some of the most fun and useful weapons in the game.