Escape from Tarkov has a steep learning curve. The first time I loaded into Factory I was confused at who I should shoot, what I was doing, and how to reload. This is not your simple run and gun first person shooter. Escape from Tarkov is a realistic, online shooter that has mechanics that are confusing until you’re taught them. I now have many hours into the game, and have come up with 10 things I wish I knew before starting Escape from Tarkov.
1. Pressing C and scrolling with the mouse wheel will adjust the height of your crouch.
2. After a period of time Scavs will respawn.
3. You can level up the dealers by buying AND selling loot to them.
4. Grenades are freaking insane. If you hear a pin being pulled just start sprinting, because you’re probably already dead.
5. If you want to reload quickly by pressing “R”, the clip (or ammo) must either be in your tactical rig or pockets.
6. IFAKS are the best medkit hands down. Not only can they heal you, but they stop bleeding.
7. Helmets are incredibly rare. If by a fluke you find one while your still an EFT noob, you should bank it for when you’ve developed more as a player.
8. Some players will approach you while pressing Q and E to tilt back and forth. It’s supposed to signal that they’re friendly. Occasionally this is the case, but often they’ll backstab when they get the chance.
9. Unlike other FPS games shotguns are a viable and good gun option. They can put out devastative damage at mid-range. They’re not just close range weapons.
10. Are you playing at primetime and you feel like your shots aren’t landing? Try changing to a different map. Factory is the main culprit having terrible desync and lag issues at peak gaming hours.
What are the things that you wish you knew before starting Escape from Tarkov? Share them in the comments below or join the discussion on Facebook!